Historic Records of Natural Stone Bridge and Caves
1824 – A Gazetteer of the state of New York by Horatio Gates Spafford (similar to the 1813 edition)
The STONE BRIDGE, in this town is a very great natural curiosity, and has given the name Stone-Bridge Creek, to a small stream that runs under it. This stream rises in Essex County, and enters Chester about 30 rods above the Bridge, and immediately falls over a rocky precipice, into a large natural Basin; whence turning easterly, enters its subterranean passage in two branches. The northern branch enters its passage undern an arch of massive granite 40 feet high, and about 80 feet broad at the base, gradually diminishing in capacity as you descend. A person may follow the stream with ease, 156 feet from the entrance, where it becomes co contracted as to check any farther progress. At a short distance, the southern and principal branch enters its passage amidst a heap of stones and rubbish that almost conceal the entrance; and though with difficulty, its passage has been explored. In some places, very much confined, in others it opens into caverns of 30 or 40 feet diameter, and filled with water to a great depth. At the distance of 247 feet from the entrance, the waters disembogue in one stream, having united in the subterranean passage; and here is a precipice of rock 54 feet high, which terminates the Bridge. The arch through which the water discharges is about 10 feet wide and 5 high. This stream enters the Scaroon River, about ¾ of a mile below the outlet of Scaroon Lake, and the Stone Bridge is about 3 miles NW from the mouth of the Creek.
1860 – from French’s Gazetter
Near the N. border of the town, upon Stone Bridge Creek, is a natural bridge. Footnoted as follows: The stream, after falling into a basin, enters a passage in two branches under a natural arch 40 feet high and about 80 broad, and emerges in a single stream from under a precipice 54 feet high, 247 feet from its entrance. This bridge is described in Morse’s Geography (1796) as follows: “In the county of Montgomery is a small, rapid stream emptying into Schroon Lake, west of Lake George: it runs under a hill, the base of which is 60 or 70 yards in diameter, forming a most curious and beautiful arch in the rock, as white as snow. The fury of the water and the roughness of the bottom, added to the terrific noise within, have hitherto prevented any person from passage through the chasm.”—Am. Univ. Geog., 508